Tuesday 20 February 2007

Here we go...

Number one entry.
Let's skip the usual faux mumblings and cut to the chase.
Just finished the first draft of The Generals, book 2 of the Revolution series featuring Napoleon and Wellington. It's taken over six months of writing, after several months of research, while writing another book in the Eagle series.
How do I feel?
Shattered and more determined than ever that I will NOT write another difficult book.
How long will I feel this way?
Just until the publisher sends me a sample copy of the final output in May. Then I will look on the whole thing as a wonderful creative experience that was fully worth all the months I poured into it. The book will be cherished like a newborn child. Mind you, I will never read the book in its finished form. I never do, partly because there is other work to do, but mostly because having shared my head with the characters for so long I want them out, removed, evicted. It's like having house guests for rather longer than one would like, even though they might be your best pals. I want my real family back. I want to play computer games with my boys, go out for dinner with my wife. Damn it, I even want to do some more flat-pack assembly work, just so I can use my hands instead of my head for a change.
What now?
Sigh... I still have to do the author's note for The Generals, then I have three months or so to get the next Eagle book written. So, it's off to the bookshelves to do the next wodge of research and time to put the screwdriver and woodeglue away for another day.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

hey. you're simon scarrow and you have a blog. That is a very good thing! I think I shall read it.

CCH said...

Heh! You've got my reader!
CC
p.s email en route. Welcome aboard.

Unknown said...

Hi Simon - Really enjoying your Eagle series here in New Zealand - just started reading WHEN THE EAGLE HUNTS. Just a couple of questions, if I may - have you put a life cycle limit on how many eagle novels you're going to write, or will you keep going, regardless? I understand you've got your brother writing a movie adaptation screenplay of the first book - how is that going, and do you have a studio interested already or just writing it on spec? Thanks, Simon, and once again - a fantastic series with very likeable characters - Paul, Auckland, New Zealand

The Book Fiend said...

As you already saw from my blog, I'm a big fan of your Roman series. I've actually got Youngbloods sitting on my shelf waiting to be read too (it's high on my priority list once I get through this current batch of reviews).

I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into a whole new series, but I hope it won't mean we hear no more from Cato & Macro. ;)

And thank you for leaving a comment - it made my day!

AndyC said...

Well well well, you kept this quiet didn't you??? hehe
Welcome to the blog world, now both Scarrow's have a place to vent their frustrations on us, the unsuspecting fans...LOL

Cya in the forum.

AndyC said...

So you found it then Parm! and i didn't even need to tell you....hehe